If you’re looking for a rewarding career, where you can train from home, consider becoming a certified doula! Studies have shown that having a doula as a member of a mother’s birth team decreases the overall cesarean rate by 50%, the length of labor by 25%, the use of oxytocin by 40%, and requests for an epidural by 60%. And a majority of women reported having a more positive childbirth experience when using a Doula.
What is a Doula?
A Doula is a trained childbirth and childcare helper. This is a non-medical person who provides emotional and physical support to a mother, partner and family during pregnancy and childbirth. Doulas perform many different tasks, depending on the expectant mother’s needs and wants. Including but not limited to:
- Answer questions about the birthing process
- Help parents understand labor and delivery procedures
- Help parents develop the birth plan
- Assist during the labor process to provide comfort and support
- Use massage to help the mother relax
- Make sure the mother receives adequate nutrition and fluids
- Communicate parents’ preferences to the labor & delivery staff
- Involve and reassure the mother’s partner
- Provide support and encouragement after baby comes home
- Teach parents how to care for their new baby
- Assist with breastfeeding
- Help make an easy transition for the baby and rest of the family
How Do I Become a Certified Doula?
Online schools like Madriella.org lets you train online. Madriella is a licensed, certified online doula training facility that offers several different types of certifications. You can also get hands-on training given by approved workshop providers, experienced doulas that want to pass on their knowledge to other women (which is the heart of the Madriella philosophy).
Madriella.org offers courses to become a Certified Doula, Certified Postpartum Doula, and even a Madriella Childbirth Educator.
There’s also a discount for active duty military or active duty dependent.
In short, Madriella.org makes becoming a doula affordable and accessible to everyone, as well as connecting you to a close and supportive community.
How Can I hire a Doula?
Interested in hiring a doula? Click here to find a doula in your area.
Jennifer Moss (she/her) is the founder of BabyNames.com, author of The Baby Names Workbook, and Producer of The Baby Names Podcast. Jennifer is widely regarded as the leading expert on popular baby name trends and the naming process, serving as the authoritative source on the subject for national and international media.
Jennifer entered the tech arena in the 80s as a software developer and database architect, and became a pioneer in the Internet industry. In addition to operating BabyNames.com, Jennifer owns a web development agency in central California.
Comments are closed.