This author finds themselves compelled to share the delightful monikers of the Bridgerton television universe. After becoming immensely popular when the show first released in 2020, the second season is now here! The first followed the magnetic Daphne Bridgerton and Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings, while the second season follows the eldest Bridgerton, Anthony, and Miss Kate Sharma. This fanciful tale is not only full of enthralling romance and colorful fashion, but a multitude of interesting character names as well! Ranging from classic English names that are commonly found in period pieces to beautiful nature names, there is inspiration to be found in every episode! Whether you are in search of a name for your baby, pet, or character – surely there is a diamond in this list that will make you the envy of the Ton! Included in each name’s description is its current popularity rank in the United States via the Social Security Administration’s Top 1000.
p.s. If you haven’t seen the second season, beware of spoilers!
- EDMUND – The late father of the Bridgerton family. Edmund is an English name meaning “Rich Protector”, and it’s an uncommon classic ready for a comeback!
- VIOLET – The Bridgerton matriarch. Violet currently is a popular name, ranking at #37.
- ANTHONY – The eldest of the Bridgerton children, Anthony is one of the main characters of the second season. A classic name, Anthony’s rank is #41.
- BENEDICT – The artist of the Bridgertons! Benedict is a Latin name meaning “Blessed”. Perhaps the popularity of both Bridgerton and Mr. Cumberbatch will eventually push it into the top 1000!
- COLIN – The traveler of the family and object of Penelope’s desire. Colin ranks at #285.
- DAPHNE – The diamond of season 1 and wife to the Duke! The Greek name is currently #415.
- ELOISE – The family’s black sheep and best friend to Penelope. The name has seen some popularity in recent years and is ranked at #138.
- FRANCESCA – The Bridgerton sister spent most of the first season away from London to learn piano, but was present when Daphne was presented to the queen. The Italian name ranks at #456.
- GREGORY – The youngest son who frequently squabbles with his sister Hyacinth! Gregory is a classic name, ranking at #433.
- HYACINTH – The youngest Bridgerton, she was born soon after Edmund passed away. The name originates from the Greek word for the hyacinth flower and is a precious stone as well. It’s also the name of a male figure in Greek mythology.
- SIMON – The Duke of Hastings and Daphne Bridgerton’s love interest. Simon, a classic Biblical name, ranks at #251. While the name increased a few spots after the first season, it hasn’t seen large gains yet.
- AUGIE – Augie is the name of Daphne and Simon’s baby son, born in the first season and featured in the second. The name usually is a nickname for August or other name beginning with Aug, and is not commonly a full name on its own.
- SARAH – Sarah is Simon’s mother, the former Duchess of Hastings who died in childbirth. The name is a classic and ranks at #87.
- MARINA – Marina Crane, wife to Philip and former lover of Philip’s brother. Marina is uncommon and ranks at #707.
- PHILIP – The husband of Marina and adoptive father to his nephew and niece. Philip is a classic name and is currently ranked at #451.
- OLIVER – Son of Marina and brother to Amanda. Oliver has never not ranked on the Social Security name list and is currently seeing a boost in popularity, ranking at #3.
- AMANDA – Daughter of Marina and sister to Oliver. The name Amanda saw most of its popularity in the 1980s and currently ranks at #447.
- ARCHIBALD – The Featherington patriarch with a gambling problem. The name is English and means “Truly Bold”.
- PORTIA – The meddlesome matriarch trying to marry her three daughters off. The name Portia is Latin and originates as a Roman clan name.
- PENELOPE – The avid reader, best friend of Eloise, and secretly Lady Whistledown! The name is currently seeing a boost in popularity and may see more – it’s currently ranked at #25.
- PHILIPPA – The middle child of the Featheringtons, Philippa is the wife of Albion Finch. Philippa is a name that has seen usage in the United Kingdom but remains rare in the US. The name is the feminine form of Philip, meaning “Lover of Horses”.
- PRUDENCE – Prudence is the eldest daughter and was engaged to their cousin Jack. Prudence is a virtue name, deriving from the English word meaning “Cautious, Intelligent”.
- JACK – The Featheringtons’ cousin shows up during season 2 to become the head of the family and becomes engaged to Prudence for a time. The name is a classic and historically a nickname to John. Jack ranks at #21.
- WILL – Boxer and friend of Simon Basset. Will is typically a nickname for William and uncommon as a full name on its own, ranking at #947. William is more common with a rank of #5.
- ALICE – Wife of Will and friend to Simon Basset. Alice is a classic name that currently ranks at #76.
- NICKY – One of Will and Alice’s children. Nicky is usually a nickname for Nicholas and is uncommon as a first name on its own.
- MARY – The biological mother of Edwina and adoptive mother of Kate. Mary is a classic name ranking at #124.
- KATE – The elder sister of Edwina and love interest of Anthony Bridgerton. Her full first name is Kathani. Kate is a classic nickname and on its own ranks at #411, but could see more usage after this season!
- EDWINA – The sweet younger sister of Kate who nearly marries Anthony Bridgerton. Edwina is the feminine form of Edwin, an English name meaning “Rich, Prosperous Friend”.
The Rest of the Ton
- ALBION – Albion Finch, suitor-turned-husband to Philippa Featherington. Albion is an ancient alternative name to Great Britain.
- CHARLOTTE – Queen Charlotte, the ever-fashionable English monarch. Charlotte is a classic name that has seen a boost in popularity, mostly thanks to the real life English princess, and ranks at #4 on the U.S. birth charts.
- CRESSIDA – Cressida Cowper, one of the fellow debutantes and rival to Daphne Bridgerton. The name is a medieval English form of the Greek name Chryseis, meaning “Golden”.
- FRIEDRICH – Prince Friedrich, the almost husband of Daphne Bridgerton. Friedrich is the German form of the English name Frederick, meaning “Peaceful Ruler”.
- GENEVIEVE – The Ton’s most popular Modiste! Genevieve is an up and coming French name that ranks at #169.
- GEORGE – The King and husband to Queen Charlotte. George is a classic name that currently ranks at #133.
- HENRY – Henry Granville, an artist that befriends Benedict Bridgerton. Henry is a popular classic name ranking at #9.
- KITTY – The general’s wife from the first season that Daphne enlists the help of. Kitty is typically a nickname and is rare as a full name on its own.
- LUCY – Lucy Granville, wife of Henry Granville. Lucy is a popular name that recently re-entered the top 50 for the first time since the 1880s, ranking at #49.
- NIGEL – The odious suitor of Daphne from the first season. Nigel is an English name and possibly means “Champion” or “Black”.
- ROSE – The maid of Daphne Bridgerton. Rose is a classic name ranking at #113.
- SIENA – Siena Rosso, opera singer that Anthony Bridgerton had an affair with in the first season. Siena currently ranks at #634 but the Sienna spelling ranks at #166.
- THEO – Theo Sharpe, friend and forbidden love interest of Eloise Bridgerton. Theo is typically a nickname for Theodore, but currently ranks #172 on its own.
- THOMAS – Thomas Dorset, friend of Anthony Bridgerton who takes an interest in Kate Sharma. Thomas is a classic name that ranks #45.
What are your impressions of these Bridgerton names? Join us in our Facebook Group to chat about them!